Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fake It Until You Make It

Dear Readers,

I am not always swift to embrace Mr. Seth Godin's viewpoints. However, this one resonates for me; "a reputation that precedes you".

Once again just yesterday I got slapped by the reality that many people are not anywhere near the 'giant' that they present themselves to be. If that be so, then the inverse obviously exists as well. And that would be some people that truly are 'giants' but don't see themselves as such in their own mine's eye.

This "fake it until you make it” stuff is not the reputation that you want out there ahead of you. I say this because when you hold it up to the light of scrutiny just right, it is totally transparent and you are caught naked as a fake.

I believe that genuineness and honesty are still two very admirable components of a good reputation. They also make for less stress when you are happy in your own skin and not pretending to be something or someone you are not.

It is also becoming very apparent to me that those that have to blow the biggest, brightest, and loudest horn about themselves are secretly trying to cover up some ugly character flaws. Has anyone else noticed this?

Fortunately I learned some time ago the one thing that I can do better than anyone else. That is to be myself. This realization truly helps me grasp a healthy attitude about myself without being obnoxious and arrogant.

Last one, I promise. I find it is a common belief in business that if you give 'over the top' service that your clients will drown you in referrals. So we attempt to treat these people as we like to be treated. We then pat ourselves on the back for practicing the golden rule in our customer service. I have been learning about the platinum rule that Dr. Tony Alessandra developed. "Do unto others as THEY would have you do unto them." So if you can dig down with you potential customers to find out how they like it and then deliver it on point; you will at least get splashed with a referral or two. For example, when I am consulting with my potential customer and they express a specific concern that they have; I write it into their proposal using their very own words. Additionally, I make sure it gets handled properly and finally I call their attention to the fact that it has been done.

You should see the praise this simple little procedure generates on my customer satisfaction form I ask them to complete at the wrap up.

Happy to be me,

Tom Doiron
http://www.TomDoiron.com

No comments: