Thursday, November 29, 2007

Is Network Marketing mostly pretend?

What is really ”pretend” about NWM is that it is just "sharing", “inviting”, “attracting”, or anything but selling.

I have recruited and trained commissioned salespeople with various companies over the years.

Very few went on to be successful. Top salespeople have developed a mindset. Many do not persevere long enough for that learning to take hold.

In NWM we basically sell two entirely different products; our feature product and a distributorship. Old Schoolers like to lead with the business and revert to the product. Most often the product is the easier of the two to sell.

New Schoolers promotes getting customers and developing a stream of income from those sales while sifting for business partners. In my opinion, it is important to remember that just because a customer has a life altering experience with a product, does not mean they are ready or willing to promote that product to the world.

To me what is really "pretend" about our industry is to parade the superstar around as the role model that all should aspire to. Those superstars may have been a diamond in the rough when they entered NWM and worked hard to get to the top. But the point is they were already a diamond. People are put together differently. We seem to understand this concept better when it relates to physical attributes then we do when it is involved with intellectual abilities. The fastest human on Earth is well trained, but was born built for speed and developed the long suit.

Years ago I was taught that NWM was based upon a lot of people doing a little. We all have memorized J. Paul Getty’s quote. For most recruits, the best NWM will be for them is a part-time income source if they work and grow some thicker skin. At one point in my past, an expensive MLM Mentor I hired told me that she didn't believe NWM was designed to take the place of a full time job. Wow, I wanted a refund.

One last thing that is truly "pretend" to me is that these superstars got to the top by working less than 40 hours per week. It is more like 60 or better hours per week. I have been taught to make my business my first and last thought of each day(365).

Just "Sharing"
Tom

3 comments:

Tony Williamson said...

Great post Tom,

This is Tony Williamson writing from Murfreesboro, TN. I appreciate your experience in NM and I think your attitude about our industry shines through in your posts as well in your comments on Kim Klaver's blog.

You seem to have your priorities straight and have realistic expectations about our industry.

I have been blessed, being in this industry for about ten years now, and the one thing I understand now more than ever, is that this business all about personal development. As within, so without.

Robin Plan said...

Hi Tom

You are on a roll again. I agree with these two things 100%

"In my opinion, it is important to remember that just because a customer has a life altering experience with a product, does not mean they are ready or willing to promote that product to the world."
I learned the hard way that very few people want to sell anything no matter how life changing it may be. Now I know that's just fine and to be expected.

"To me what is really "pretend" about our industry is to parade the superstar around as the role model that all should aspire to."

When I first started in network marketing I attended the company conference and really thought these people on stage were the greatest and I would be one of them. I didn't realize they had failed for years before being the top dog on stage. I felt lied to and taken advantage of after I learned the truth.

With people like you Tom, the industry can change. It will be a slow process but it's like the Mom who started MADD. She started with one mom, herself and look where she took it. One at a time we can make a difference.
Thanks for sharing
Robin

Tom Doiron said...

Tony,

I appreciate your post.

Thank you for your kind words.

When one truly has a passion for someone or something, it is extremely hard to leave it/them behind.

My motorcycle patiently waits for my attention and network marketing is under my skin. I may be hopelessly addicted to both.

Regarding the PD(personal development), some come to our industry as virgins, but with good previous training and take wing almost instantly. Therefore the PD for success in Network Marketing is not all industry specific as some would like you to believe.

Tony may you strike the "motherlode" in your next 10.

Tom